Wednesday 23 January 2013

Dairy free cranberry and chocolate muffins


No milk in the fridge .... fear not ... you can still make muffins without milk. 
If I say without milk, that doesn't mean you need substitute stuff like soya milk or oat milk.  
You can actually make muffins simply using water instead of milk.   
I recently discovered that I could bake cake without eggs and milk when I tried to make vegan cupcakes. When I found there was no milk in my fridge, I thought to myself I still could make muffins using water like I made vegan cupcakes the other day.  :)
I used an egg as I had some eggs in the fridge. So, these muffins are dairy free but not totally vegan. 
They have a lovely chocolaty flavour and very light.  



Ingredients 

  • 200g plain flour (if you use self raising flour, no need to add baking powder) 
  • 150g sugar
  • 20g cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ¼  tsp Salt
  • 100ml water 
  • 60ml vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • Vanilla extract
  • 120g fresh cranberries 

Method 

  1. Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6 and add paper cases to a muffin tray.
  1. Measure out flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix the dried ingredients well.
  1. Measure water and oil in a large measuring jug. Add egg and vanilla, then whisk well.
  1.  Add the wet mixture (3) into the dry mixture (2).  Stir until just combined (mixture will be lumpy).        Do NOT over mix!
  1. Gently fold in cranberries.
  1. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment