I noticed that milk, one of the ingredients of muffins, can be replaced by other types of dairy products such as buttermilk, sour cream and yogurt. So, here are my first yogurt muffins. I thought blueberries would be the best match with yogurt, but there was a nice crunchy apple in my kitchen, so I used chopped apple instead. I suppose any fresh fruit which goes nicely with yogurt would make lovely muffins with this recipe. Chopped pear, pineapple, etc.
I was just curious how the yogurt would affect the texture of the muffins. The result was ... wow, better than I expected. The muffins had a really bouncy spongy light texture and pieces of apples made them moist, but not soggy at all. The very gentle tangy flavour of the yogurt complements the apple so well. Make sure that you do not over-mix the batter. That 's the muffin rule. :)
- 260 g plain flour
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 240 ml plain yogurt (regular or low fat)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 60 ml (¼ cup) vegetable or sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 100 g fresh or frozen blueberries ( Blackberries, raspberries, or cranberries …… or even chopped apple which I put in the muffins pictured here.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the yogurt, lightly beaten egg, oil, and vanilla extract. In another large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Remove 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients and toss it with the blueberries.
- With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined. Gently stir in the blueberries. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15 -20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
|Blueberry and Yogurt Muffins 31.05.2012|