This year, I decided not to put a cross on my buns as I was in a bit of a rush making these buns on the Easter day itself. Yes, last minute baking. This is a very easy recipe and the buns taste and smell just like the British favourite "hot cross buns." Happy Easter, everyone. :)
- 250g strong white flour
- 20g caster sugar
- 7g easy-action yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 50g unsalted butter softened or low-fat spread
- 80ml milk
- zest of 1 orange
- 100g sultanas
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Put all the ingredients, apart from the sultanas, in a bowl and mix together with an electric whisk with dough hooks for about 5 minutes until the dough becomes a ball. If the dough struggles to come together add 10ml more milk to make it very sticky.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave the dough in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Knock down the air and mix in the sultanas with your hands with some oil.
- Shape the dough and place it in the baking tray and bake in a preheated oven (160c fan) for 10 minutes.
- Turn down the temperature of the oven to 140c and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Take the bread from the oven and cool for a few minutes. Then brush with syrup (some sugar and water). Decorate with icing.