It was such fun to make chestnut puree from the sweet chestnuts that I collected from the local woods. Although it was a bit of an effort to make smooth puree it was absolutely worth it.
So, I was wondering what else I could make with my lovely chestnut puree apart from Mont Blanc.
This year, I made dairy-free puree, so it's basically Japanese 栗あん (kiri-ann)or 栗きんとん(kuru-kinton) after all. Why not make a little 栗どら焼き for fun. どら焼き are mini pancakes with aduki puree filling. But chestnut puree filling is also very popular especially in autumn in Japan. It's a seasonal treat. They are lovely little things to eat with some Japanese green tea.
Ingredients for mini pancakes (about 20 pancakes)
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Put all the ingredients in a jug and mix well.
- Heat the frying pan with a little oil and make mini pancakes.
- Cool the pancakes on the rack.
- When they are cooled, sandwich the 2 pancakes with the chestnut puree filling.
Please see the recipe for making sweet chestnut puree on the "Mini Mont Blanc" post.