This is a very easy and satisfying muffin recipe which you can enjoy anytime of the year.
However, somehow, the flavour of almond, orange and dried fruit creates a very Christmassy aroma.
It's a great treat coming back from a brisk wintry walk to have these with a warm drink of coffee, tea or even mulled wine. :)
These are best as they are still warm. But they can be reheated by oven or microwave.
Ingredients (for 10 muffins)
- 1 egg
- 60ml of veg oil
- 125ml of milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 75g dried cranberries
- 75g raisins
- 50g of mixed peel
- Zest of half an orange
- 1/2 tsp of almond extract
- A handful of flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with 10 cases.
- Whisk the egg until it is well combined, then add milk, oil and sugar and continue to whisk.
- Using a sieve, add the self-raising flour, cranberries, raisins, mixed peel, orange zest and almond extract to the egg and gently mix in.
- Pour the batter into cases and top with some flaked almonds. Then bake for around 20 minutes until they have risen and are lightly golden.
- Allow them to cool and then dust the top of the muffins with some icing sugar.