Once you've made your own pizza from scratch, you will know how enjoyable it is to make and eat.
It's seriously good. :) My pizza dough is half the quantity of my basic loaf recipe for a 12 inch round pizza. It's plenty for 2 people. It doesn't take as long as you may think. I got home at 5:30pm today and had this pizza dinner at 7pm. Actually, it's a de-stress exercise as you need to punch the dough to make the pizza's lovely chewy texture. :) Anyway, once you make the pizza dough, the topping options are endless.
My topping list tonight is as follows.
- Caramelised onion (cook the thin sliced onion with olive oil for 15 minutes with low-heat. Splash with balsamic vinegar at the end)
- Roasted vegetables (aubergine and courgette roasted in the oven with olive oil)
- Green olives
- Low-fat Mozzarella cheese
- Tomato paste (It works well if you don't have time to cook tomato sauce. I always use this.)
for 12in round Pizza dough
- 250g Strong Bread flour
- 3.5g sachet fast-action dried yeast (1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp dried mixed herbs
- up to 175ml lukewarm water
- Make the dough by tipping the flour, yeast, salt and dried herbs into a large bowl and making a well in the middle. Pour in most of the water and use your fingers or a wooden spoon to mix the flour and water together until combined to a slightly wet, pillowy, workable dough - add a splash more water if necessary. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for at least 10 mins until smooth and elastic. This can also be done in a tabletop mixer with a dough hook. Place the dough in a clean oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 220C/ fan 200C/ gas 7. Knock back the dough by tipping it back onto a floured surface and pushing the air out. Stretch the dough on the pizza oven plate. Cover it with the oiled cling film. Then leave it for about 10 mins.
- Bake the dough on the oven proof pizza plate for 15 mins.
- Take the dough out of the oven and spread the tomato paste, then put toppings on the dough
- Bake the pizza for another 10 minutes or so until the cheese begins to bubble.