Believe it or not, these are "vegan friendly" cupcakes. I was searching for a cake recipe for my vegan friend and found a recipe which is totally egg-free and dairy-free. This recipe doesn't require any unusual ingredients. I call this "absolutely cupboard ingredients cake". I wasn't sure how the cupcakes would turn out as the recipe seemed to be too simple. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the result.
These cupcakes are really moist, soft, light and full of flavour. You wouldn't believe these are totally egg and daily free. I made cupcakes, but this recipe would also work as a sponge base for any decorated cake. When you bake it in a cake tin, it just bakes for longer.
I put crushed walnuts on top before baking them. Lovely. :)
- 200g (7 oz) self-raising flour
- 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
- 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 250ml (8 floz) water
- Preheat oven to 180 C / gas 4. Lightly grease a 13x23cm loaf tin or a 20cm round cake tin. If you make cupcakes, prepare muffin cases.
- Sieve together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add oil, vanilla, lemon juice and water. Mix together until smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin or muffin cases and bake for 40 minutes for cake tin or 20 minutes for cupcakes. Check it's cooked by inserting a skewer. If it's clean on withdrawl then it's cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.