My recipe was inspired by Delia's Low-fat Moist Carrot Cake. I adjusted her recipe for cupcakes and used half-fat crème fraiche, so they are even more low-fat. Juicy fruit and crunchy walnuts give these cupcakes a lovely flavour and texture. As you expect, grated carrot keeps the cupcakes very moist.
Shall I put the kettle on?
- 6 oz (175 g) dark brown soft sugar, sifted
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 7 oz (200 g) self-raising flour
- 1 level teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons mixed spice (or cinnamon + ginger)
- grated zest 1 orange
- 7 oz (200 g) carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 oz dried mixed fruit + 3 oz walnuts
For the topping
- 200 g crème fraiche
- 15 g caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus a little extra for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 3, 325°F (170°C).
- Begin by whisking the sugar, eggs and oil together in a bowl using an electric hand whisk for 2-3 minutes.
- Then sift together the flour, baking powder and the mixed spice into the bowl.
- Stir all this together, then fold in the orange zest, carrots, dried mix fruit and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared muffin tin and bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until they are well risen and feels firm and springy to the touch when lightly pressed in the centre.
- While the cupcakes are cooking, make the topping by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl until light and fluffy, then cover with clingfilm and chill for 1-2 hours or until needed.
- When the cupcakes are completely cold, remove them from the tin, spread the topping over and dust with a little more cinnamon.