For me, good old British Home Baking is Maggie's flapjack. I have so many good memories of living in Birmingham and this is one of them. My very good friend Maggie makes flapjack which is everybody's favourite. Maggie, who is a great home baker, says that she nurtured, amended and adjusted the recipe over the years until she arrived at the recipe she really likes best. I love her flapjack, and since I moved to London this recipe has been on my fridge.
- 7oz margarine
- 3 tbsp golden syrup (62g/2oz)
- 7oz brown sugar
- 12oz oats
- 3oz sesame seeds, or sunflower seeds, or raisins, or chopped dates, or walnuts
- 6oz wholemeal plain flour
- Melt margarine, golden syrup and brown sugar, then add the dry ingredients.
- Spread in tin(s) and cook at Gas mark 5 /180°C for 20 minutes.
- Cut before it hardens!
A pretty jar of flapjack is a great wee prezzy to make someone smile. :)