Pavlova is a great dessert to impress guests though it's very easy to make and prepare in advance.
So, I often make it for a dinner party.
The problem is what to do with the leftover egg yolks. Custard? Mayonnaise?
Tada! This recipe solves the problem, as you can make the lemon curd for the pavlova itself.
The tangy lemony flavour works very well with the sweet meringue. It's very refreshing. :)
For the pavlova base
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 medium free range eggs, at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
For the Lemon Curd
- 4 egg yolks
- 130g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 100ml lemon juice (appox. 3 lemons)
Method for Pavlova base
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (fan).
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking parchment, cutting it to fit. Using a cake tin or plate as a template, draw a 23cm diameter circle on the parchment with a pencil.
- Place the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla extract in a small bowl and blend with a teaspoon until smooth.
- Separate the eggs one at a time, taking care not to include any yolks with the whites.
- As each egg is separated, tip the white into the large mixing bowl. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff enough to hold their shape.
- Whisk in the sugar a tablespoonful at a time, adding a little of the cornflour mixture each time.
- When all the sugar and cornflour has been added, the consistency of the mixture will be thick and marshmallowy.
- Using the spatula, turn the meringue mixture onto the baking sheet. Spread it to the marked line, then swirl with the spatula, making a slight indentation in the centre for the filling.
- When the Pavlova is ready to bake, turn the temperature down to 120°C and bake it for 1 hour. Then turn the oven off and leave the pavlova base to cool completely in the oven.
Method for Lemon Curd
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar until well combined but not frothy.
- Tip into a heavy-based non-reactive saucepan and add butter, zest and juice.
- Stirring constantly, bring to simmering point over a medium-high heat (about five minutes).
- As soon as bubbles appear, remove from heat, still stirring. Allow to cool. Transfer to a sterilised jar and seal if you do not use all the lemon curd for the pavlova.
Pour the Crème fraiche on top of the Pavlova and drizzle the lemon curd.