Friday, 26 April 2013

Vegan Chocolate and Walnut Cupcakes


Here is the updated version of my Vegan chocolate cupcakes.  I know I posted this before, but this is a slightly different recipe with a very chocolatey and good crunchy texture of walnuts. 
I decorated with cocoa icing and sprinkled the crushed walnuts before the icing became dry.  
My vegan friend approved of this so I must have done the right thing. :)


Ingredients (12 cupcakes)

  • 200g (7 oz) self-raising flour 
  • 200g (7 oz) caster sugar
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (or baking powder)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons (74ml) vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or white vinegar)
  • 250ml (8 fl oz) water
  • 70g chopped walnuts


Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. 
  2. Sieve together the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, lemon juice and water.  Mix together until smooth. Add walnuts.
  3.  Pour into prepared muffin tin and bake at 180 C for 20-25 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  5. Decorate with cocoa icing (cocoa + icing sugar +water) and crushed walnuts.