I really enjoyed my bargain lemons and there were the last two remaining in the fruit bowl.
I was wondering if there was any unusual recipe for my last two lemons and came across something called "lemon bars." Sounds very American to me as we may call these "lemon slices" here in Britain.
Anyway, these are slices of very tangy lemon filling on top of a biscuit base. That's more or less what they are. Tray-baked lemon tart ... something like that. I added lemon zest to the filling to get even more lemony flavour.
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 250g flour and 100g sugar. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a preheated oven, or until firm and golden.
- In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 300g sugar and 30g flour. Whisk in the eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool.
- Cut into squares when cooled.