Yes, I still have some cranberries which I got when I shopped after Christmas. These bargain cranberries have a really great flavour and very fresh. I used these beauties for my good old upside-down caramel cake.
The cake looks very cheering on a cold winter day. :)
Ingredients (for 19cm round cake tin)
- 5 oz plain flour or selfraising flour
- 5 oz caster sugar
- 5 oz butter or low-fat spread
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (no need if you use selfraising flour)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g cranberries
- 1 small apple
- for caramel: 3 oz granulated sugar + 3 tablespoon water
To make the caramel sauce:
- Place the granulated sugar and water into a stainless steel pan.
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and there are no granules.
- Remove the spoon and increase the heat.
- Boil until a golden straw colour and immediately pour into a tin.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Place cranberries and chopped apple in the cake tin when the caramel is cool and set.
- Put all ingredients (butter, sugar, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, eggs and milk) in a bowl.
- Mix with electric whisk.
- Pour the mixture on top of the cranberries and chopped apple.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 30-40 minutes. When the cake cools down turn the cake tin upside down.