These lovely cupcakes are really light, soft, moist and juicy. You can use different fruit like chopped apples, pears etc., but I found mixed berries are just so brilliant. :) I love these cupcakes with creme fraiche for dessert. Or decorating them with buttercream would be nice .... but a bit naughty, perhaps ...
I added the recipe for the buttercream in case you fancy it.
Ingredients (approx. 10 cupcakes)
- 6 oz plain flour (or self raising flour)
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 6 oz low-fat spread (or butter if you prefer)
- 2 tsp baking powder (if you use plain flour, but not if you use self raising flour)
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g frozen mixed berries (or fresh ones if you have them)
- Put all ingredients (except the berries) in a bowl and whisk up with an electric whisk. The mixture should have a dropping consistency. Add a bit more milk to get the right consistency.
- Fold the berries into the cake mixture very gently not to break the berries.
- Pour the mixture into cupcake cases that are placed in the tin.
- Bake for about 30 minutes in the preheated oven (180c).
- When the cupcakes are baked, leave then in the tin for a few minutes and then take them out to cool.
- Cupcakes are ready to be decorated with butter cream, cream cheese or creme fraiche.
Basic buttercream icing ingredients
- 140g / 5 oz butter softened
- 280g / 10 oz icing sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- a few drops of food colouring
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft.
- Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth. Beat in the milk, if necessary, to loosen the mixture.
- Stir in the food colouring until well combined.