These are not ordinary chocolate muffins or banana muffins. They are seriously dark.
I used quite a lot of cocoa powder for this recipe as I didn't have a bar of chocolate ..... surprise?
Anyway, bananas made the muffins sweet and moist. They are lovely with creme fraiche.
- 3 bananas (ripe or over ripe)
- 100 ml vegetable oil or 100g lowfat margarine
- 50 ml milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 g soft light brown sugar
- 200 g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6 and line a muffin tin with papers.
- Mash the bananas by hand or with a free-standing mixer. Add the oil (or margarine) followed by the eggs and sugar. Mix well.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together and add this mixture, beating gently, to the banana mixture, then spoon it into the prepared papers.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15–20 minutes, by which time the muffins should be dark. Allow to cool slightly in their tin before removing to a wire rack.