Friday 7 September 2012

Lemony Cupcakes

Believe it or not, these are my first ever attempt at making cupcakes. I had never made them before.
Well... I've been baking a lot of muffins by now. I must admit almost an obsession as I kept baking muffins in the last few months. Yesterday, I ran out of vegetable oil which I believe is an essential ingredient for making muffins. I think vegetable oil gives muffins a very light fluffy texture compared with using butter or margarine. So, no vegetable oil, but I couldn't be bothered rushing to the supermarket just for that.
So, plan B... Ah.. Why not cupcakes? Cupcakes are cakes, not muffins, so they say... They have a different texture altogether. Therefore, cupcakes require different ingredients and a different method. Cupcakes need butter or margarine instead of a liquid form of fat, and more eggs. For making cupcakes, I can use an electric whisk.
Result: The texture is quite dense and very moist. They are cakes after all. They should be like that, shouldn't they?  I love a lemony flavour, so I made a mixture of lemon curd, extra lemon juice and icing sugar for the top of each cupcake.


 Ingredients


  • 125 g Self-Raising Flour  (or Plain Flour + 1tsp Baking Powder)
  • 125 g Caster Sugar
  • 125 g Unsalted Butter or Margarine
  • 2 Medium Eggs
  • ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 2 Tablespoon Milk 
  • Lemony mixture ( Lemon Curd + Icing Sugar + Lemon Juice )



Method


  1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C  (Electric oven | Electric fan oven 160°C | Gas Mark 4) and place paper cases into a muffin tin.
  2. Using an electric whisk, food processor or wooden spoon, beat the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
  3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next. Add the vanilla essence if using.
  4. Carefully fold in the flour and baking powder with a spatula.
  5. Bake in the oven for 10 - 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, check to see if the cupcakes are ready by inserting a cocktail stick into one of the cupcakes. If it comes out dry then the cupcakes are done. If not, then put them back in the oven for a few minutes more. Don't overcook the cupcakes otherwise they will dry out. Lift the cupcakes out of the muffin tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
  6. Make the lemony mixture and pour on each cupcake.


No comments:

Post a Comment