Sunday 27 March 2016

Easy Hot Cross Buns


Yes, More Easter Baking from me. Here is my very first attempt at "Hot Cross Buns".
There was no "mixed spice" in my cupboard as Mary Berry suggested to use.
So, I just made up my own "mixed spice" with what I had in the cupboard.
I also found out I had run out of plain flower to make the "cross" decoration. So, instead, I used icing to make the cross.
Result? Surprisingly, the smell of "hot cross buns" came from the oven.
Obviously, these are not text book Hot Cross Buns, but I'm a happy bunny. :)

Ingredients
  • 250g strong white flour
  • 20g caster sugar
  • 7g easy-action yeast
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 50g unsalted butter softened or low-fat spread
  • 80ml milk
  • zest of 1 orange
  • 50g sultanas
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • a pinch of ground coriander

Method
  1. Put all the ingredients, apart from the sultanas, in a bowl and mix together with an electric whisk with dough hooks for about 5 minutes until the dough becomes a ball. If the dough struggles to come together add 10ml more milk to make it very sticky. 
  2. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave the dough in a warm place until it doubles in size. 
  3. Knock down the air and mix in the sultanas and orange zest with your hands with some oil.
  4. Shape the dough and place it in the baking tray and bake in a preheated oven (140c fan) for 10 minutes.
  5. Turn down the temperature of the oven to 120c and bake for another 20 minutes.
  6. Take the bread from the oven and cool for a few minutes. Then brush with syrup (some sugar and water). Decorate with icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment