Saturday 19 May 2012

Low-fat Savoury Muffins

This is a favourite "lazy weekend supper". Black forest ham, mozzarella cheese and tomato salad with good olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar. I normally have chiabatta bread to clean up the plate, but I tried something different today. I've been in a kind of muffin mood recently, so I thought I could bake savoury muffins for this supper. I could have used cheddar cheese as most savoury muffin recipes suggest, but I decided to go for a low-fat option of cottage cheese. The result was rather nice. :)   It proves that muffins don't have to be sweet.


Ingredients for 6 muffins 


  • 200 g plain flour
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • freshly ground pepper
  • dried herbs (if you have fresh herbs, it would be even better) 
  • 1 large egg
  • 100 ml milk
  • 60 ml vegetable oil or olive oil
  • 1 spring onion chopped
  • 2-3 slices of ham
  • 100g cottage cheese
  • 6-8 pitted green olives chopped   

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6 and add paper cases to a muffin tray.
  2. Measure out the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the milk, oil, and egg. Then, stir into the dry ingredients until just combined (mixture will be lumpy).  Carefully mix in ham, spring onion and cottage cheese.
  4. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full.
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
I added frozen peas in the mixture. 30.05.2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment