I made fruit cake in a hurry without soaking the other day and the cake turned out really dry.
So, using "juicy" dried fruit is definitely the key.
- 6 oz low-fat spread (or butter)
- 6 oz caster sugar
- 6 oz self-raising flour (or plain flour + 2tsp baking powder)
- 6 oz dried mixed fruit
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 30ml water or apple/orange juice
- Soak the dried fruit and lemon zest with lemon juice and water overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 °c (160 °c fan)
- Put low-fat spread (or butter), sugar, flour and eggs in a food processer and mix well. I often use an electric hand mixer.
- Gently fold the soaked dried fruit and the juice into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake it in the oven for about 50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean from the cake.
- When the cake is baked, let it stand for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto a plate.