Friday 4 May 2012

Cinnamon Nutella Cake


Nutella on toast is my comfort food.
The lovely nutty and chocolatey flavour is one of my childhood memories. I loved to munch Nutella in a soft bread roll and drink very sweet coffee flavoured milk when I was a little girl. I thought that was the best combo when I was starving after a swimming lesson. :)
I was wondering if there was a cake recipe using Nutella, and found quite a few. This recipe is based on the one I found in BBC Good Food. It worked very well with low-fat spread producing a very moist and fluffy sponge. I tried to make a marble effect with the Nutella, but as you see all the Nutella sank to the bottom. As a result, there was slightly crunchy chocolate stuff in the bottom which I quite enjoyed.
Ingredients
  • 175g (6 oz) softened butter ( I used Low-Fat spread)
  • 175g (6 oz) golden caster sugar
  • eggs
  • 200g (7 oz) self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 4 rounded tbsp Nutella or own-brand chocolate hazelnut spread
  • 50g hazelnuts (I used walnuts), roughly chopped


Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4/ fan 160C. Butter and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin.
  2. Put the butter (or low-fat spread), sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and milk into a bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer for 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
  3. Tip three quarters of the mixture into the tin, spread it level, then spoon the Nutella on in four blobs. Top with the remaining mixture, swirl a few times with a skewer, then smooth to cover the Nutell
  4. Sprinkle with the nuts. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until risen, nicely browned, feels firm to touch and springs back when lightly pressed (cover with foil if it starts to brown too quickly). Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack. Wrap tightly in double thick foil to keep fresh for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment