Saturday 12 May 2012

6 oz Cake

When you bake a cake for the first time, obviously you may chose the easiest recipe to follow. The recipe has the basic items that you can find in your cupboard and fridge. Nothing fancy.
Here is my "6 oz Cake" whose main ingredients are fat, flour and sugar in equal measure of 6oz.    Some people call this type of cake "Pound Cake" which I remember I saw in a shop in Japan. But I had no idea what this really meant. Anyway, you can find lots of recipes of this easy to follow basic cake and I have one, too.   My recipe is based on Delia's "all-in-one sponge" which was in my first cookery book I bought in Britain.   My version follows the same principal of "equal amounts of fat, flour and sugar", but I changed other  ingredients over the time I have been baking this cake.
Now, for me, this is the formula which works perfectly. Very light but moist... and low-fat.
This cake is very versatile. You can add dried fruit, chocolate chips, cocoa powder.... etc. to change the flavour.... endless potential. :) 

Ingredients
  • 6 oz Low-Fat Spread
  • 6 oz Caster Sugar
  • 6 oz SR flour (or Plain flour)
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder (if you use the Plain flour, increase the BP to 2 tsp)
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Lemon or Orange zest
  • 1 Tbsp  Milk
  • 1 Tbsp  Lemon Juice
Method

  1. Pre-heat the oven 160-180 °c      
  2. Put all ingredients in the food processer and mix well. Or put all  ingredients in a bowl and mix with  electric hand mixer.
  3. Bake it in the oven for 40-50 minutes
  4. When the cake is baked, let it stand for 5 minutes, then turn it out on a plate.

       *Decorate with lemon juice + icing sugar mixture   


No comments:

Post a Comment